GBSB Baby Dungarees

As I mentioned in my review of the second Great British Sewing Bee book, I’ve made the baby dungarees for my nephew using the pattern in the book. I used some cute spotty cotton in suitably non-girly colours (my nephew is so cute he frequently gets mistaken for a girl!).

P1020700

Because he wears cloth nappies, my nephew has a larger bum than babies that wear disposable nappies do, so I made a practice pair to check that the dungarees would be big enough to go around him. I made the biggest size, 12-18 months as I made them for his first birthday and he’s quite big for his age. I stuffed them with pillows to see the full size and they were luckily plenty big enough – I feared I would have to work out how to do a FBA – Full Bum Adjustment! Don’t they look creepy?

P1020228-PS-largeP1020230-PS-mediumThe dungarees came together relatively quickly, because they’re so small and there aren’t too many pieces. I think like the patterns in the old book, this one could have been drafted better. The straps are sewn into the hem a the back so they look like this:P1020517-PS-mediumP1020519-PS-mediumSo I decided to sew them again, so they they didn’t fold back the hem.P1020520-PS-mediumP1020522-PS-mediumThe other part that wasn’t clearly explained or well written was the button tabs on the sides. The way it was written, there would have been some raw edges and I’m a bit too anal about things being neat on the inside and outside, so I fudged it a bit. You have to cut the seam allowance at the top of the side seams here:

P1020651Then the instructions tell you to just fold the tabs back twice to hem them, which would leave a raw edge at the bottom of the tabs on the outside:

P1020659P1020662So I turned the bottom edge over before sewing it:

P1020664I’m pretty pleased with how they turned out. When my sister unwrapped them, quite a few people at the party assumed I’d bought them, which is possibly the highest compliment you can get for homemade garments! I sewed one of my name tags in the back, but forgot to take a picture.

I also added a little pocket on the front in a matching shade of orange, which was just some polycotton I had left over from when I made my sister’s apron. I used the pattern for the pocket from the first Sewing Bee book’s Boyfriend Shirt.
P1020690P1020692
P1020693P1020696The only other change I made was to sew on normal poppers instead of the stronger snap things that the pattern suggests, the ones you put on with that clamp thing.

P1020695This seemed like a fine idea until I realised they all undid as soon as my nephew moved around in them! Oops. He did look cute though.

IMAG0218First one leg undid….IMAG0221Then he was basically wearing a weird-shaped dress…..

IMAG0223

They didn’t restrict his movement, though – he still managed to make a bid for freedom!

IMAG0220I’m tempted to make more kiddies’ clothes as they’re small and therefore quick to sew up and they’re so cute!

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “GBSB Baby Dungarees

    1. Good idea – I think the proper snaps would be much better! The button part was confusing but it looked okay in the end – a little fudged, but better than it would have been if I’d just followed the instructions!

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s